lefttop righttop
leftborder
rightborder
leftborder
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: New Budget Road Race Series at MMP  (Read 14134 times)
Biggie™
Big Stig
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 04:26:12 PM »

Just the general rules since there is so much debate over them.
I don't see any debate going on, the rules are pretty straight forward.

ariel_86

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 12:54:35 AM »

The wheel restriction seems to be disappointing a few people. Restricting wheel choices to ONLY steel wheels that are no wider than 6.5" seem to be a point of debate. I don't see why it can't be ANY wheel no larger or wider than 15x7". That still gives people plenty of choices for wheels, and if they actually spend money on buying a set of wheels, then they run the risk of losing them if a competitor buys their car.
Biggie™
Big Stig
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2011, 02:07:23 PM »

Again... There is no real debate...

Steel Wheels=$5.99

Aluminum Wheels = $19.99

http://www.picknpull.com/part_pricing.aspx?LocationID=74&Language=English&NavItem=13&SearchCriteria=&#partpricing

ariel_86

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 04:39:57 PM »

Two people voicing a concern (before me) in this forum and a few more voicing concerns when I've mentioned the rules to them seems like there is something of a debate here. And not about price, because yeah, steel wheels should be cheap & plentiful, but about the requirement that they MUST BE steel wheels and nothing else seems to be the debate.

I really think that changing the rule to "any wheels no larger or wider than 15x6.5" (or 15x7" if you're willing to give some more)" would make a few people happier about what they have/want to build.
Biggie™
Big Stig
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 05:39:36 PM »

really think that changing the rule to "any wheels no larger or wider than 15x6.5" (or 15x7" if you're willing to give some more)" would make a few people happier about what they have/want to build.

There has been no valid reason given to allow aluminum wheels. These are sprint races, you really only need one set of wheels plus a spare. If you get a flat during a race you are done. Go to the junk yard and buy all the wheels you will need for under $30, pretty simple.

Jason@UN

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 08:19:52 AM »

Committed.
Furiousz

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 12:20:52 PM »

Hello everyone my name is Matthew, I have just gotten into racing and I plan on doing some autocossing with my MINI this summer, but Im really interested in this race. I can't really commit to anything right now but I should be able to let you know in the next few weeks. I just wanted to let you know its a really good idea. I have always wanted to get involved but have always felt overwhelmed. Being a poor college student I dont have a whole lot of money to spend on racing even if I have always wanted too. So I will let you know if I can but for now put me on the potential list.
Biggie™
Big Stig
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 08:08:44 PM »

Sounds interesting. My concern is that steel wheels don't hold up to the rigors of racing. Steel flexes back and forth, then breaks (i.e. ever bent a hanger or a paper clip, until it breaks?) Alloy is much safer.

I think you are over estimating the "rigors of racing" a $2000 car. And you have also completely got the wheel behavior backwards...

Here is a bent steel wheel:

Aluminum will break long before steel will:

But, needless to say what wheels are allowed has no bearing on the success of this series. There are obviously not enough people willing and/or able to enter the races to make this work.

Let's do this... From now on there are no rules!

There are all these people that want to run this series. The vast majority of them have no real race experience yet they thinks their $2000 race car will be SO fast and handle SO well, that every other competitor will be is such awe of their awesome race car building powers that at the very first opportunity they will have their über racer bought out from under them. Well, now you don't have to worry! I'd like you to have an inexpensive car, but people don't want to enforce a $2000 car rule so from now on it is only a suggestion. We'll use the honor system...

Run whatever tire you want. People seem to think they wont even be able to make it out of the paddock with 195s. Someone even suggested we allow the tread width be 1/10 of the car's weight. so if you had a 1950 pound car you could run 195s, and if you had a 2750 pound car you can run 275s... Well, the last time I checked, a good set of used 275s were wroth almost as much as these cars will cost before safety equipment. Well, now you don't have to worry! Run whatever tire you want! Huge race slicks are just fine, I don'y want you sliding of the track in every turn....

So, with no enforceable budget and any tire is allowed, why try to keep costs down. With all these race experts telling me steel wheels just wont hold up to the "rigors of racing" a $2000 shit box weighting 2400 pound with 100 wheel horse power. I mean 800 hp cars weighing 3400 pounds use them every Sunday at NASCAR events... Well, now you don't have to worry! Run whatever wheel you want!

As I see it, there is now no good reason NOT to run the series... I doubt this will bring even 3 more competitors, but all the bench racers will now have the ability to imagine building the fastest car ever made with no limitations at all.

I've talked to my business partner about this series and he seems to have been right all along. If people really want to race, they will find a way. They will sacrifice and make choices that lead them to the track. No matter how easy or inexpensive I make it for people to start racing, they still have to choose to do it on their own.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:10:47 PM by Biggie™ » Logged

DarkGift

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 08:04:51 PM »

Just got back from Brazil and came across this thread.   I'll just add one suggestion:

Offer an "exhibition" class that lets any car run, but it isn't eligible for trophies/prize money etc., $2k claim etc.  That should help increase the entries and you'll probably grab a few MPRA guys who just want extra track time.
Biggie™
Big Stig
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 04:53:26 PM »

Don't believe what you read. With the exception of 1 or 2 people. The 30+ others that claimed they would enter the series have no intention of ever racing anything.

derekfc

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »

still down for this. still have a car ready to go.

Biggie™
Big Stig
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 12:52:58 PM »

2 down, 13 to go.

gsea

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2011, 01:59:03 AM »

Just stumbled on this! I've been set to run that Starion with Nick at a Lemons, so I'm definitely on board for a series like this. Will this for sure be Sundays only or are some Saturdays looking possible? Tentative first race still in June, yes? I know there are a few teams in the area that have Lemons cars, and I have a few ideas for getting the word out to garner more interest.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:01:34 AM by gsea » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Jump to:  

rightborder
leftborder